And when pictures are this yummy, It got to be our Chef Champ. Malini is #OBMC mom and she along with her little one participated in Baking Champs #CookWithRD contest and we can’t get over the cuteness in this recipe.
Here is how the two describe making Healthy Bournvita Raisins Muffins
#CookWithRD .Here is my recipe of healthy Bournvita raisin muffins for Baking Champs with my son, Rishaan. All of 4 years and change , my son is one big baking enthusiast! So when I told him of this contest, he was actually more excited than myself, as I had expected Now, coming to the recipe, this is something we had come up with when we had to finish a box of Bournvita before going on a month long trip, and it has become quite a favourite ever since – necessity breeds innovation, as they say!
P.S.: I know there are debates around how healthy “health drinks” like Bournvita/Horlicks etc are due to their high sugar content, so my strategy is to use them as occasional “treats” rather than something to be consumed daily. Please substitute with low-sugar cocoa alternatives if you need to.
1 cup whole wheat flour
0.5 cup Bournvita (can be substituted with cocoa powder, of course)
A handful of raisins (chopped or whole)
1/3 cup cane sugar (powdered jaggery works even better, we were out of jaggery yesterday)
1 large egg or 2 small eggs
1/3 cup olive oil (pomace)
1 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
A few drops of vanilla essence
Set your oven to pre-heat at 180 degrees before you start.
1. Whisk the eggs until light and frothy
2. Mix in the oil and continue whisking until combined
3. Mix in the sugar/jaggery
4. Add in the vanilla essence and whisk until you get a fairly homogenous mix
5. In a separate bowl, sift in flour, bournvita, baking powder and salt. Mix in the raisins.
6. Gently fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mix just enough to combine
7. Depending on the flour brand, I have had to adjust the liquid level on many occasions, if the final batter is too dry, add a few tbsp of milk (room temperature). Add milk very gradually so as to not have too much liquid into the batter.
The batter should be of spooning consistency, not flowing.
8. Put into moulds and bake at 180 degrees for 15 min or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center.
9. Let the muffins cool, and dig in!